Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Heart-Shaped Bacon and Egg Sandwich

Yesterday was Valentine's Day.  I usually do a theme related meal for dinner, somehow incorporating a heart or more into the dish(es) I make.  Yesterday, I decided to surprise my boys with a bacon and egg sandwich (a favorite breakfast option) only make it heart shaped.  Some time ago I had purchased a heart-shaped egg ring, so I was all set.





I put a piece of aluminum foil on a baking sheet.  Then, I took my heart-shaped egg ring on top and drew around it, make the pattern for where I would place the bacon.  I cut the strip of bacon in half
before placing it within the lines I drew.  The bacon went into the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.




I used bread where each slice was bigger than a "normal" sandwich loaf provides.  I used my egg ring and cut around it with a serrated knife.  This created somewhat of a jagged edge, so I decided to use the ring as a cookie cutter which resulted in the smooth edge here, plus it was much faster!  I toasted two bread hearts in the toaster oven.  In the mean time, I heated my pan with the egg ring in it, added a little butter and fried my egg, making sure that the edges were cooked before lifting the ring to flip the egg over.




Using a pretty heart-shaped plate, I started with one heart toast, then added the egg, the bacon, and the other piece of toast.  As you can see from the bacon picture, I didn't account for shrinkage when I used the egg ring to draw my template.  Next time, I will take that into account and draw my heart about 1/4-inch bigger than the egg ring.  Some of us like to add a little bit of ketchup for flavor.  My boys were quite surprised with their Valentine breakfast.  Perhaps you can do this for your special someone(s) as a special treat!
This is the final product!



No comments:

Post a Comment